Friday, July 07, 2006

I'm thankful...for these eyes!

I like traditions!

So I'm only too happy to follow Jules' lead over at Everyday Mommy and make Everyday Tomatoes my Friday blogging tradition. Start this tradition yourself, if you want to "embrace contentment" and celebrate the things in life that we're so used to that we forget how wonderful they are.

Today I'm thankful.... for these eyes.


Aren't they beautiful? They belong to #1 Son; he took the picture himself (probably never imagined it would end up on mom's computer) and if the light were better you could tell that they are the most beautiful shade of stormy hazel. He's the only one my five kids that got this color for eyes. But that's not why I'm thankful for them.

I'm thankful for these eyes because they show so much compassion and love. I'm thankful for them because they look into the deepest issues of life and the world and cry because it's not perfect (and he's only 9!) I'm thankful that they're looking for a day when the Lord will return and True Perfection will indeed be fulfilled. I'm thankful for these eyes because they can show childish angst one minute and man-like maturity the next. I'm thankful for these eyes because they show me so much love and a little sadness too.

And I look at them everyday and don't realize often enough the gift that they are.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word look at those sweet freckles!

Beck said...

He does have beautiful eyes. One of my three kids has eyes that my dad says are "the colour of the North Sea" - I think your boy might have the same colour.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I make it a point to take a long look into my boys' eyes everyday... there's such a connection there, a precious-ness, stillness, a moment for quiet understanding... love it!

Susanne said...

Wow! Beautiful eyes and beautiful post!

Tennessee Mama Duck said...

That is so sweet! I too am proud to be a mom to a 9 year old boy with compassion and an eternal focus!

Malissa said...

aww:)
How sweet--and how lucky he is that he has a mommy that sees how precious he is!

Carol said...

The eyes have it! Lovely post. Such a sweet tribute to something we look at all the time, but overlook all too often. Our loved ones' eyes. My son's are beautiful, too - in a stop-mama's-hear-from-beating kind of way.

Thankfulmom said...

Ah, contentment - one of my life goals. So often we forget to sit back and embrace the life God has given us and all of His good gifts - like sweet children and amazing husbands.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful soulful deep eyes, like his mama's!