Wednesday, January 31, 2007

WFMW


This really isn't even my idea, my kids came up with it all on their own. I love it all the same.

I can't exactly remember when they started doing this or who came up with idea, but it's now something that my kids do every single night (if possible). Even when my girls were on a trip with their dad, they made sure to call at bedtime so they could say good night to their brothers and do this.

It's something the older girls do for their younger brothers and vice-versa. Once the guys are tucked into bed, the girls go in and as a part of saying good-night, they each have a turn telling the others something he/she likes about them. It might sound something like this: (and mind you, this is an exchange between a 14 year old and her 7 year old brother.)

Sweetanlo: "The thing I like about Joe Cool is that he's learning to be a good sport."
Joe Cool: "The thing I like about Sweetanlo is that she's really good at math."


It's really very sweet. I know it sounds simple and it is. But it's strengthening the bond between them (something I pray for), and it certainly helps bring the day to a close on a positive note. Works for me! (And it could work for you too - get your kids to try it!)

Drop by Rocks in My Dryer for more great Works-for-Me Wednesday ideas. Next week, it's a special Valentine's edition of WFMW. That should be fun!

13 comments:

Nikki said...

As always, you have excellent tips! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Wonderful idea! The fact that they carry it out on their own is the sweetest part! I would try this, but I only have one kid! Think it would work anyway? *Grin*

Carol said...

I think that's a wonderful way for them to show love for each other. Mine still hug goodnight, but I'm thinking this could be something they might enjoy as well.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! Kuddos to your kiddos for coming up with it and sticking to it! My youngest is not quite a year old (2 weeks to go), but I can't wait to implement this when he is able to talk. What a great bond to share with a sibling. Makes me want to call my brother and tell him all the things I like about him! :) Thanks so much for sharing! Have a great day!

Heather said...

I'm going to add this to our bedtime routine. I always ask the kids what their favorite thing about the day was to send them off to sleep thinking about good things. Your idea will be a nice addition! Thanks!

Beck said...

Great, great idea!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic idea. I'm going to try to implement it--now if only the kids will comply ;)

Annie said...

Very sweet! I could see this working for me too as my children are 16, 12, 8, and four.
Thanks
Annie

Shalee said...

Ann, this is a wonderful idea, no matter the source. Oh, I can't wait to con my kids into this tip.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I am going to start this tonight. Thanks!

Susanne said...

What a great idea and I'm loving how they came up with it on their own!

Michelle said...

Your kids are so sweet! and how neat they came up with this idea on their own!

Pieces said...

I'm going to ask my kids to give it a try. Lately they seem to not be appreciating each other very much. This may help.