Wednesday, July 18, 2007

WFMW

Here are two great ways to help a family after the birth or adoption of a baby.

  • Grab some of your friends, family, neighbors and organize dinner meals for the family. Our church has a group of ladies that does this and we try to have meals for the new baby's family every other night for about two weeks. It's not a surprise; you coordinate with the family so that you can know food preferences and/or allergies and when to start. And it certainly wouldn't necessarily have to be church-related as you could do the same thing with you and a group of your friends or neighbors. I've benefitted from this 5 times and I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful thing it is not to have to worry about that dinner meal, leaving much more time for resting and enjoying the new baby.


  • I wish I had thought up this next idea but alas no. I was dropping off a meal like I just described and as I was leaving, the new mom handed me one of these cute little packages as a "thank you."
    She said that a girlfriend of hers had made her a basket of them (we all knew the baby was a girl - hence the pink.) to give away to friends and family who would be dropping off meals and stopping in to admire the new baby. (Who was too adorable for words, I might add.) I thought that it was so amazingly thoughtful of her friend. (And I sure didn't mind leaving with some chocolate.) I just had to pass it on.



More great WFMW tips.

8 comments:

Lorie said...

What a neat idea!

Beck said...

Those are wonderful ideas! One of my friends earned my everlasting love by not only staying with me for the WHOLE day on the first day my husband went back to work (when I was quite nervous) but also bringing breakfast, lunch AND supper with her. She's a GOOD friend.

Totallyscrappy said...

A sweet idea!

Anonymous said...

Lovely

My Trendy Tykes said...

What a great idea! I am always looking for new ideas like this for our "Great Expectations" ministry in which I lead at our church. It is for new moms and we also do meals but this is a really great thing!

Linda

wayabetty said...

Well, I could have used this great idea a month ago!!

Anonymous said...

That's a cute idea. I may need to make some for a friend. Just so she doesn't have to make them...

Raesha D said...

What a cute idea!! I'm always afraid that I'll forget who brought a meal when it's time to do thank yous but this is so cool!! What a great idea.